Mixed Feelings





Losing a tooth is a big deal in my books. 
You're getting closer to adulthood, with your body parts being updated to adult parts, with a longer warranty. 
I've had a tough time dealing with DD's tooth loss, and I'm having a harder time dealing with DS's. 
While DD lost most her teeth in succession, DS is taking his time, which I love. 
"Mamma, Arit lost a tooth today", he told me excitedly once, when he came back from school. 
"Oh no!" I reacted, and yes, I reacted badly. 
"Why Mamma?"
"I..."
"Why oh no, Mamma?"
"Not oh no, I guess it's good, but it means, he's growing up. I don't know how I feel about you losing your tooth."
"But I am 6, I am a big boy."
"I know. But you're also my baby. Well, maybe I have mixed feelings."
"What are mixed feelings mamma?"
"I want you to grow up, but I want you to stay my baby."
"That is just silly mamma!" he chuckled. 
"I know, sweetie. I don't know how to feel."

And the fateful day arrived a week later. 
When I went to school to pick him up, his teacher met me at the door. "I think your son has something to tell you, and he knows how you will react." 
"What?"
She nodded at DS. 
"Mamma, I know you have mixed feelings, but I have mixed feelings about telling you too. 
I am excited that I lost my tooth, but I am a little sad that you have mixed feelings."
Oh my heart!

"I think I am more excited that you lost your tooth, babe", I lied and hugged him, never wanting to let go of my baby. 


Pic source: https://qcontent.co.uk/insights/marketers-mixed-emotions-facebook-emoji/

No comments:

Post a Comment