Gullible vs Street-smart


When DD lost her tooth, she left her tooth under her pillow for the Tooth Fairy to come and get it. 

I wrote such a lovely letter to her saying that the Tooth Fairy was proud of the choices she was making, and to take good care of her new tooth. 

DD would admit a few years later that she knew it was me. But she kept quiet because she wanted the moolah, that comes with a fallen tooth. "Tooth Fairy's cursive was eerily similar to your handwriting," she admitted. 

After she lost like 4 teeth, I told her that the Tooth Fairy only rewards for the top 4, but she insisted that each tooth was special and she needed to save it for the fairy. So that cost me quite a bit. 

With my little, it was much simpler. 

The first tooth, the Tooth Fairy wrote to him in a non-cursive hand-writing and gave him a dollar. He was way too excited and all the parents in the school were very happy with the Tooth Fairy too. 

The second tooth, I told him that we had a family tradition, that we dig the dirt, bury his tooth, and plant a sapling in its place, so you'll know with its growth, how long its been since you lost your tooth. To my surprise, he readily agreed.  He dug a hole and added his own tooth, and chose to fill it with an apple seed. 

I compared the way the two kids reacted to not getting money to DD and Ady, without a beat, she replied, "Mamma, there's gullible and there's street smart."

"He's got a sense of wonder and excitement about everything. I don't think he is gullible." I defended him. 

"You're right", she said. "He's very innocent. He's going to listen to everything you say in excitement and wonder."

"You think so?" I asked. 

"You know what, you are right!", she smiled, and looked at her dad. "*He* is not gullible." And the two of them burst out laughing. 



Pic source: https://linguosco.com/word-of-the-week-gullible/


No comments:

Post a Comment