Long Term Commitment

We were in India for the past few weeks to celebrate the 50th anniversary milestone of my in-laws. 

DD and DS got to meet a whole set of their paternal cousins, aunts and uncles, grandaunts and grand uncles. Within the first week, his grandma became DS's favorite person in the whole world.

The entire family was there. Dances by the bonfire, steaming hot paranthas, fresh from the farm salads, and wonderful cackles of excited children were all the elements that made our trip so memorable. 

On the day of the big event, it was amazing to see mom-in-law and dad-in-law all decked up, happy, nervous, shy! They were re-living the day from 50 years ago and it was just the most adorable scene ever. 

On the way to the venue, DS was riding with his grand aunt, grand parents and I. The grand aunt was teasing him, saying she wanted to marry him. "Will you marry me?" she asked. DS looked up at me. 

"Mamma" he said. "I can't marry her." 

"Why?" she asked. "Why won't you marry me?"

"You need to be married for a long time. But if I marry you, I have to marry very soon. "

Everybody burst out laughing. 

"Mamma, she is very old. I can't be married only for a short time. I need to be married a long time." he whispered in my ear. 

"She already has a husband, babe" I tried to calm the anxious child. "She's just kidding."

"I will tell your husband" he threatened her. 

"He'll happily give me away" she laughed. 

And he did. DS did tell his granduncle what his wife did, who promptly did offer her to him. "She may be your favorite person soon."

"No. Daadi is my favorite person in the whole world."









No comments:

Post a Comment