A little bit of me, a little bit of you




When we realized that I was pregnant with DS, we decided to announce it through a scavenger hunt to DD. She loves solving puzzles, and she was the one who lobbied non-stop for a younger sibling, so she deserved to know the news as soon as we did.

I crafted 10 different puzzles, and she scavenged through the entire house to solve it.

The last clue said “You will no longer be just you, you’ll now have a different role, a different relationship, and a different responsibility. You will be the older one, not the only one.”

“Only child?” she instantly remarked. “I won’t be the only child anymore?”

We smiled.

“Are you pregnant?” she came running to touch my belly.

“Yes, sweetheart” I said.

“Yay, I am going to become a big sister! When will my little sister come?”

“We don’t know if it’ll be a little sister or a little brother” Ady said. “But whichever one, you’ll still be the older sister.”

“Yeah” she agreed. “But little sister means, we’ll have a lot of pink.”

“I am so happy, mamma”, she continued hugging me. “I will no longer be the only kid in school without a sibling. I will have my own sibling.”

“Yes”, I said. “You most definitely will not be the only kid anymore. You’ll be Akka” I said.

“Or Didi”, Ady quickly added.

“So the baby won’t call me by my name?” she asked.

“Well, the baby will be the only one who can call you ‘big sister’, and mean it because they’ll be related to you by blood. My sister calls me ‘Akka’, and papa calls his sister ‘Didi’”, I said.

“Hmm…I don’t mind the baby calling me by my name”, she pondered. “But having a special name sure sounds good.”

“How about…” she continued… “how about the baby call me Dika, or Akdi?”

“It’s a combination of Didi and Akka?” I asked.

“Yeah. So it’ll be a little bit of Tamil and a little bit of Hindi, because I am part Tamil and part Hindi.”

Ady and I smiled. We liked the idea. “I think Dika sounds good” we agreed.

And thus was born a newly coined relationship. It is very unique to what DS calls DD, and we like it that way  – A little bit of me, and a little bit of him.  

 

 

 Photo credit - Romel - https://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfsoul/2072332105

No comments:

Post a Comment