No Siblings Yet.

For most who've been following my blog, you know that Driti is Calvin's female version.  Only, she thinks boys are silly and crazy. You also know that I attribute her traits to Calvin of Calvin and Hobbes and not Dennis from Dennis the Menace, because, well, I was an ardent C&H reader when I was pregnant. There's got to be some influence of it on the baby, right? All that research on pre-natal influence and stuff should  have some truth?

Anyway, do you recollect those stories and movies based on those stories, where the twins separated at birth or just plain old siblings lost during carnivals or a mom who thinks she's lost her kid forever reunite because of that family song or because of that amazing repetition of an incident, a deja vu?

Well, so here's proof that what happens in the movies also happen in real life, or if you want to believe the other way around - what happens in movies, is inspired by real life. 
I was shocked. Wait, let me build it up. You weren't there to witness the scene, so I need to create the scene for you to experience all the feelings I had when I witnessed the epic moment. 

Driti's bed time ritual - read her a story, tuck her to bed, and then tell her she's a big girl, needs to sleep by herself and all that jazz. Driti's starting to read now, so she picks out the book herself. Strange thing, our book shelf is organized.  (for a change, something is organized at home!) Her books are at the bottom shelf and the grown up books are high up.

She's surfing through the book shelf and says "Mamma, why are kid books in your shelf?"
"What?" 
She points to the 'comic' Calvin & Hobbes and says she wants to read it. 

My heart's racing. It's the moment of truth. C&H is already ingrained in her subconscious and I am almost a 100% sure she does what a female Calvin would do. Reading the book - wouldn't it give her more ideas? 

But I was really curious to see what happens. A parental experiment, if you will. So taking a deep breath, I opened the first volume. We read the first three pages and she didn't laugh at all, while I was trying my best not to roll over the bed and fall. "Why are you laughing so much Mamma?"

"Because it's funny, don't you think?"

"But he's copying me Mamma. Is he my brother?"


Calvin and Hobbes

And now, everyday we read to her about her brother and skip through the parts we don't want her to be influenced by. Is this called coming a full circle?

No comments:

Post a Comment