Role Playing

As men and women, dads and moms we have our strengths and 'developmental opportunities'. We could as well be Supermen and Superwomen in our own imagination and our mighty self-image may not let us see the aptly named 'blind spot', but our better halves make sure we're aware of it, even if don't really want to know. 

It takes 45 mins for Ady to get Driti ready in the morning. 

A: "Driti, time to get up" 
D: "You can't just tell me, papa, you need to ask if I am ready"
A: "OK.Are you ready to get up Driti?"
D:"No"

A series of exchanges later, it's really late, and if we have any intentions of reaching office and her school before lunch, we need to get off now!

Enter, Wonder woman, aka yours truly. 
Me: "D, do you want to pick the clothes you want to wear for school or should I?"
D: "I want to Mamma"
Me:"If you don't get up in the next minute, you don't get to"
D is up and in the bathroom brushing her teeth.
Me to Ady: "And that's how it's done!" 

On the way back, me to Ady "You know what, I always pick her up. Today you should go"

A: "But will you be able to move the car in case there's traffic?"
Me: "What traffic? We're on the side of the road and parked"
A: "Yeah, but it's a 30 min load unload zone. And it says this is until 6. It's 5:55"
Me: "Yeah, I think I can handle 5 mins"
A: "Ok. I'll go get her"
30 secs later Ady calls me on my phone.
A: "There's a parking enforcement car that I can see, can you move the car into the parking garage?"
Me:" What? where?" and I see the car and panic. "NO, you come. Now!" I yell on the phone. Ady's just across the road.
A: "It may not be a problem actually,...."
Me: "No, you come, now!"
A: "You don't have to panic so much, we haven't..."
Me: "No, come now. I'll die of a heart attack"
Ady crosses the road and jumps into the driver's seat, and parks the car in the garage in under a minute.
A to Me: "And that's how it's done"

As I said, the spouse will always show you the blind spot!


No comments:

Post a Comment