When he said, "I Love You"

I know I shouldn't have laughed, but I did. It was so cute and amusing at the same time, I couldn't hold it in. 

We were driving to school today, and D knows I don't like to talk when driving (I absolutely hate driving), but we were discussing something important - why she should not 'accidentally' forget things or break stuff or fall off. As with all discussions, this one too took a lot of turns. 

We spoke about trees, fog, rain and dust before we came to a halt at the red light near her school. "That's John*, Mamma" she said from the back seat, pointing out the window. 

"The little boy crossing the road?" I asked. 

"Yes. He is in my class."

I waved to him and he waved back. 

"Mamma, you know what? John said that he loves me."

"What?" I asked trying to curtail my amusement. 

"Yeah. He said 'I love you' to me."

I laughed.I know ... I know, parenting mistake. But I did. There, I said it. 

"He also said, he'll put frogs in our bags." she added. Now, you  try to keep a straight face. 

"Why would he do that, and who's 'our'?" I asked as seriously as I could. 

"Me and my friend's. He just likes frogs."

Frog-Naveen

I dropped her, hugged her, said goodbye and knew I had to tell this to Ady - immediately. 

A very busy day, Ady may not have the time to pick the phone or respond to my text, but he deserved to know. Besides, I wanted to have fun with him too - I am a good wife. 

"A boy said 'I love you' to your daughter." I texted. 

I knew I'd hear from him, maybe in the evening. He doesn't respond to texts when he's in a meeting, and he's in all day meetings today. 

"Who? When? Why? Call me," was the instantaneous message from husband dearest, or more aptly in this case, 'Papa Possessive'. 

I didn't call. It's just a kid thing, and well, I wanted to savor the moments...and just as I am about to go upstairs, the phone rings.

"What happened? Who is it? I want to know." It's Ady.

"Isn't it adorable?" I ask, smiling ear to ear. 

"No. It's not. Who is it? Maybe you should talk to the teacher."

"Yes. And while I'm at it, I'll also tell her that D is 'awfully' married to Kenny"

That calmed him down. "I don't appreciate you laughing at such things" he said. 

"But, you just have to give him frogs as a wedding gift" I said, "that's what John wants to give your daughter." That did the trick and I heard him chuckle. 

"Is that a laugh I hear?" I asked. 

"No. I have to get back to my meeting." he hung up. 

P.S.: Reading the title of the post, I hope you weren't expecting a different story ;)


*Name changed, so she won't scream at me when she starts reading my blog.

Photo Credit: Disney's Princess and the Frog



No comments:

Post a Comment